Monday, December 14, 2015

Scan Fair, Discovering Norwegian Traditions in Oregon


As the name implies, Scan Fair, a  Scandinavian Heritage Foundation event, combines several Scandinavian cultural traditions, and it is a good place to see some fine traditional crafts, sample delicious food, and to meet representatives of the Sons and Daughters of Norway Lodges in the Portland and Salem area.

One of them eagerly told me the secrets to making good lefse.
Another enthusiastically gave me her recipe for authentic Norwegian Poached Cod. I can't wait to try it.

And it does not get much more Norwegian than this. I watched this kind of conversation when I visited distant relatives in Norway decades ago: the brightness of the eyes, the quick and sincere warmth, bonding instantly over a proud heritage.

Yet another booth representative encouraged my husband and I to join them on Monday nights for traditional Norwegian folk dance. My husband is resigned that this "Norway thing" is more than a weekend excursion.

On the right: Hardanger fiddles by Lynn Berg, Oregon.
For more about these, see my earlier post.
There were many booths showcasing RosemÃ¥ling, a traditional Norwegian folk art 
similar to tole painting. This display won my heart.
I enjoyed talking to this vendor. I wish I would have purchased one of her kits to 
make traditional Norwegian braided trim.   It looks like so much fun.

Candidates for the 2015  Lucia Crown

No comments:

Post a Comment