Saturday, February 21, 2015

Japan Takes the Stage

Big drums. That's all it took to get my interest.


The weekend after our failed attempt to spend a day "in Japan", there was a Japanese-American New Year's celebration and cultural fair in Portland. Why not try again?

Mochitsuki promised a full slate of performances, including two troupes of Taiko drummers. 

But first I needed sushi.

Our grown kids were eager to join us on a staycation experience, so the night before Mochitsuki we watched some Japan travelogues and went out to Tiga Sushi & Asian Bistro in Salem. Even the non-sushi fans at the table had to admit it was wonderful.

The next day we drove in a world of fog to Portland.

Driving through a cloud felt like  being in a plane.
Like magic, the minute we arrived in downtown Portland the fog cleared, and the day was dazzling.

"My" we said, "Isn't this a beautiful day in Japan?"

Ladies in kimonos heading to the event confirmed the illusion.

Mochitsuki was buzzing already when we got there. We grabbed some delicious mochi and took our seats for the dynamic "Utsuki Kai" Ritual Mochi Pounding on stage, followed by a succession of evocative performances.


The performance hall had a wood floor, and the Taiko drums reverberated through our feet. It was even more spectacular than I hoped. 

When the koto players took the stage, I wondered how my family would enjoy this softer music after the excitement of the drums, but my son-in-law remarked: "I got so caught up in the music of the kotos I forgot where I was."


We left Mochitsuki grateful for the experience. If we had wanted to continue the theme, we should have visited the lovely Japanese Gardens just a short drive away.

But one thing that impressed me in the movies we had watched during the week was the importance of family in Japan. Mochitsuki confirmed this by seamlessly including all ages.

So we drove up to visit with our other daughter. We took a walk through her neighborhood to a coffeehouse and other Portland style shops. I bought a book, a loaf of crusty bread and arugula pesto. We admired her small apartment, which reminded us of how Japanese homes make use of every space. We sat around her table and broke bread together.




Back home, we congratulated ourselves for having one of the best vacations ever.

I looked at the little book I had purchased: a  "how to draw" cartoon animals study book.

Now I looked closer and laughed. Of course!

It is by Sachiko Umoto, and was originally published in Japan.

My souvenir.

Keep scrolling to see more Japan ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment